Monday, December 10, 2012

Reading: A New Pasttime for an Old-Timer Like Me

I make my new year's resolutions at Thanksgiving, so that I can get to the gym before the rush, and rightfully complain about the lack of parking come January 1.

The resolution I'm most excited about is this:
Get a library card. Use it.

I got one today. It was surprisingly easy, and who knew they had self check-outs at libraries, what a thrill! I can fulfill a goal without having to talk to anyone.

As nothing pleases me more than writing lists and keeping records, I'm going to start an ongoing list of books I check out. I'm not promising to read them, although, I've found, so far, the first five are delightful. 

Words You Should Know How to Spell: An A to Z Guide to Perfect Spelling by David Hatcher, MA and Jane Mallison, MA

Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car Keys but Never Forget How to Drive and Other Puzzles of Everyday Life by Sandra Aamodt, Ph.D. and Sam Wang, Ph.D.

A Gentlemen Walks Down the Aisle: A Complete Guide to the Perfect Wedding Day by John Bridges and Bryan Curtis

Wonders in the Sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern Times by Jacques Vallee and Chris Aubeck (This promises to be astounding!)

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande (This is pretty gross. If you don't like surgery, it might not be for you.)

I've learned something about myself today. I'm much more likely to be interested in reading something I chanced upon than something from a list of works I'm supposed to read and think are great. I think the joy of reading might be in the discovery.

Did I mention I don't like fiction?

2 comments:

Justin said...

Non fiction, eh? A fact I must admit surprises me. Enjoy! I checked out a book recently that I very much enjoyed starting to read called Homesickness: An American History by Susan Matt. I had to return it to the library after renewing it (PS--renew online or via your mobile app and you won't have late fees as frequently!), but hope to get it again someday...

Lark said...

Why do we loose our car keys?

Search This Blog