Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wet With Tears

"Teddy will you pose like a soldier so David can draw you?" I inquired carelessly. I took another look and saw his eyes were red.

"He's sad," Sarah informed me, "Because he's thinking about his cat."

He hung his head and began to weep.

"He is," I answered and turned to him, "If you need anything, let us know." He didn't look up.

I almost cried myself.

I hadn't really expected any of them to take this project seriously. I'd thrown it together last minute, because I'm required to teach it.

War memorials.

We're creating proposals for memorials to something important to us as individuals in our past, present, or future.

At the end of class, I collected the art from each table. I picked up his drawing--
a careful rendition of a fluffy little cat--wet with tears.

No comments:

Search This Blog