Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Jordan Reasor is not a crayon.




You know how the internet has this magical ability to perceive what ads are relevant to your life and fills the margins of your blog, facebook page, and google searches with enticing distractions? Not for me.

Apparently the internet is not really animate, and cannot, though it may try, tell gender or whatever else comes along with it.

Lucky for me, I'm confident in my femininity, thanks to a friend a who said he wants a woman who knows she's a woman. I've tried to know it and show it ever since.

If not, I'd be awfully confused by the pretty women who want to meet me everywhere I venture on the internet. Men have got it bad.

As a freshman at BYU, I tried to sell a book online, I spoke with perspective buyers via msn chat. One of them apparently could not separate business from pleasure, and struck a flirtatious tone with me. "This girl is flirting with me!" I thought, "That's weird." But, I didn't feel the need to say, "I'm selling a book, not a date, and I'm a girl by the way."

Finally she asked me who the girl was in my profile picture. It was me, but too embarrassed to embarrass her (boy I really should have), I told her it was my girlfriend. "What's her name?"

"Jordan."

"You have the same name?"

"Cool, huh?"

I deleted her from my contact list.

When I applied for housing and received a list of roommate names, I discovered that once again, I'd been man listed, I had to make some phone calls, to get a room with girls, because I'd be kicked out of the school for living with whom they assigned me.

Years later, even today, I'm approached by men who say, "You know you have a boy name?"

I am shocked.

Where have these people been? What do they know? And since when has telling a girl she's a boy have any social benefit?

Jordan has become increasingly popular as a girl's name since it first appeared in the top 1000 names in 1960. While the name was 5 times more popular for it's male appearance 100 years earlier, it is has been increasingly less popular as a boy name than as a girl name since it's feminine debut. Today 1 in 4 Jordan's are female. Get the picture?

From ThinkBabyNames.com
Jordan \j(o)-rdan, jor-dan\ as a girl's name (also used as boy's name Jordan), is pronounced JOR-dan. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Jordan is "down-flowing. Name of the major river in Palestine, used as a given name since the Crusades."

"Jordan \j(o)-rdan, jor-dan\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Jordan), is pronounced JOR-dan. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Jordan is "down-flowing". Name of the major river in Palestine, used as a given name since the Crusades. The name is influenced by the fame of basketball celebrity Michael Jordan and Nike's line of Air Jordan athletic shoes."

It is interesting to note that parents of boy Jordan's wish to evoke the powers of the basketball gods upon their child, and parents of girl Jordan's are sports illiterate.

YahooAnswerites do not agree.

Would you consider 'jordan' a girl name or a boy?

floyd04--Could go either way, but boy popped into my head first.
CherryB--for a boy. im sorry but if i think of it as a girls name i think of white trash. hmmmm idk why.
Christy_R--YES! I love it even more on a girl that is one of my top 5 names!
Kittysue--No matter how many girls use the name, I still think of it as a boys name

While the name is ill thought of elsewhere--

This name is awful. It's tacky and what we would describe here in Scotland as a "ned" name!
-- natalie11181 8/3/2005

and teenybopper Jordan's experiment with alternative names--

Jordan Leigh is my name, but I just like to be called Jordan. Sometimes I like my name to be spelled Jordyn instead of Jordan (sometimes). I love to be called Electra though. And Natalie the name isn't tacky. Take that opinion somewhere else.
-- Jorbor103 9/8/2005

Female Jordan's around the globe unite in cyberspace--

I used to hate my name. I thought that it was very embarrising to have a "boy name." And I used to get embarrassed when the substitute teacher would say, "Jordan, is he here today?" when they would take attendance. But now I realize what a cool name it is. I have had a lot of people comment on it. Every time I introduce myself to someone they always say that it is such a pretty name. I think it is cool that not very many girls are named Jordan. So to all you girl Jordans out there, don't ever wish your name was something else! You are beautiful and unique. Leave the names Ashley and Megan to all the other regular girls out there. Be the confident and unique one! And take the rude comments that others say about you as a grain of salt.
-- Jordan992 6/21/2005

Because--

This is the best name ever. Whoever has this name is super Cool!
-- BOB HINEY 9/18/2006

Take it from Bob. He's got a worse battle to fight.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. I did have to think back to the first day of school and going through the roll and if I got the gender wrong. There were a lot of names like that though so you learned to figure it out quick I think.

But if you WERE a crayon, what color would Jordan be similar to?

Josh Baer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh Baer said...

In my stake growing up I had a friend of each gender named Jordan. They were actually into each other for a time. I didn't think twice about the gender specifics of your name when met you. I did think twice about our friendship when I found out you were from Minnesota however...

Lark said...

If you search the names of your three sisters on facebook you will find parents have given those names to boys too.

Jordan Reasor said...

Dear Ma,
I love my name.

Lark said...

And some man has my name too.

Jordan Reasor said...

I ran a race in Provo today, and the lady who helped me register, marked me as a male, as she was looking at me.

Jordan Reasor said...

And I got mail today addressed to Mr. Jordan Reasor.

Kevin said...

I thought the correct pronunciation was JER-din. Or possibly HOR-do.

Search This Blog